Richard Heck <rgh...@...> writes:

> OpenOffice will export LaTeX. You should be able to load your Word docs
> there, and then export. Might be no worse. You WILL have to do hand
> editing, one way or the other. There's just no way around it.

I tried to install open office (neo office). It does convert to LaTeX.
But the issue is that it seems the philosophy in the OO converter is to make
the
typeset
LaTeX document look like the OO document, rather than conveying the
meaning/contents
of the document -- WYSIWYG rather than WYSIWYM. The results is terrible,
terrible
LaTeX code. Maybe there is some option to set so that it's converted to nice
latex code,
that does not try to reproduce the formatting of the OO document?
At least the
commercial programs produce LaTeX code that reproduce the meaning of the
original document fairly.