On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Paul A. Rubin<ru...@msu.edu> wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In the last 6 months this list has featured at least 10 reports of LyX
>> 1.6.x terminating unexpectedly. I myself had instances of this in 1.6.2 and
>> 1.6.3, and was lucky enough to find a workaround in 1.6.3.
>>
>> Turns out, the lyx file causing the crash in my 1.6.3 featured a huge
>> (bigger than 2mb) .eps file. When the file loaded, the picture on the screen
>> said "loading bookcover.eps", and then a couple seconds later crashed. This
>> was a reproducible error -- it happened every time in the same amount of
>> time.
>>
>> Using Vim, I replaced bookcover.eps with bookcover.pdf, a much smaller
>> file, and the problem disappeared.
>> So here's my question for everyone reporting 1.6.x crashes: Did your files
>> include graphics? Did they include large graphics? Were any of the large
>> graphics .eps files? Was there anybody suffering a 1.6.x crash whose file
>> DID NOT have graphic files?
>
> I'm not sure that *all* crashes on Ubuntu are related to Qt and graphics.
>  I've had a couple of crashes lately working on a document whose only images
> are generated by xypic (so the images are external TeX files that are added
> to the doc by LyX input commands, with instant preview off).  The most
> recent one, at least, occurred when I cursored out of a math inset and then
> immediately changed my mind and tried to reenter it via the left arrow key.
>  (I might have deleted a character along the way; don't recall for sure.)  I
> suppose that could still be a Qt issue, since Qt handles the LyX GUI itself.
>
> Personally, I'm just going to live with it until the updated Qt version
> finds its way into some repository as a .deb package.  Fortunately, I deal
> with short documents, so restart/reload is not too painful.

Well they are in the Karmic repositories. Instructions on how to
upgrade qt4 (fairly) safely are at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg74482.html

Scroll down past my instructions and follow Michael Gasper's clearer,
better instructions.

These instructions have worked for me and Michael without any files
being eaten. The main things to remember are to watch the upgrade to
make sure it it only upgrades qt4 related packages, and disable the
Karmic repository after you use it (so you don't accidentally upgrade
to Karmic next time you do updates).

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student