On 08/16/2009 11:19 PM, Ricardo Perrone wrote:
Hi everybody,

I want to set the page counter to start from 12th page (Here, the first page
relative to the first chapter). From 1st to 10th I removed the page numbering
with \pagestyle{empty} at the document begining, but when i include
\tableofcontents at 11th page, the page numbering appears at the end of page.
How can i remove this numbering on TOC page and force the page numbering
appears only from 12th page? I tried ERT command (\pagestyle and
\thispagestyle) but didn't work. For this document I'm using book.cls template

The \tableofcontents command in book.cls is defined like this:
\newcommand\tableofcontents{%
\...@twocolumn
\...@restonecoltrue\onecolumn
\else
\...@restonecolfalse
\fi
\chapter*{\contentsname
\...@mkboth{%
\MakeUppercase\contentsname}{\MakeUppercase\contentsname}}%
\...@starttoc{toc}%
\...@restonecol\twocolumn\fi
}
The important part is that it formats the heading, "Table of Contents", using \chapter*. So if we look at that:
\newcommand\chapter{...@openright\cleardoublepage\else\clearpage\fi
\thispagestyle{plain}%
\glob...@topnum\z@
\...@afterindentfalse
\secd...@chapter\@schapter}
This gets called both for \chapter and for \chapter*. Note how it sets the page style.

Getting around this will probably involve both (i) redefining the \tableofcontents macro so that it does not call \chapter* but instead, say, a new command, \tochapter and (ii) defining that new command. You might try something like this:
\renewcommand\tableofcontents{%
\...@twocolumn
\...@restonecoltrue\onecolumn
\else
\...@restonecolfalse
\fi
\tochapter{\contentsname
\...@mkboth{%
\MakeUppercase\contentsname}{\MakeUppercase\contentsname}}%
\...@starttoc{toc}%
\...@restonecol\twocolumn\fi
}
\newcommand\tochapter{...@openright\cleardoublepage\else\clearpage\fi
\thispagestyle{empty}%
\glob...@topnum\z@
\...@afterindentfalse
\...@schapter}
I've basically just copied everything over and changed a few bits here and there.

Are you sure you don't just want to use \frontmatter and \mainmatter, though?

rh