On 08/23/2009 08:48 PM, G. Jay Kerns wrote:
Dear LyX-Users,

I am on Ubuntu Linux.  If I run lyx from a terminal, then along with
the LyX window I get a terminal where I can see what LyX is thinking
when it generates PDFs, etc.  This is a very useful debugging tool,
but I only need it a relatively small fraction of the time I am using
LyX.

On the other hand, I can never predict when I am going to need it.
And if I run LyX from the Desktop icon, say, then I don't get the
terminal showing LyX's thought processes.  If I get to someplace where
I need the terminal (especially when I am doing something with
Sweave), the only solution I have found is to close LyX and open it up
again with a terminal.

Is there some Linux trick, where I can open LyX, say, from the Desktop
without a terminal, but on-the-fly open up a terminal (or is there
even some other mechanism) to see what LyX is thinking?

Someone else might have a better answer, but the only thing I know to do here is to attach a debugger, such as gdb, to the running process, and then you can see the output there. This seems overkill, however, and it will slow LyX down.

Another option would be to run LyX from a script that redirected stderr to a file, and then you could always look at that file if you needed to do so. E.g.:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/lyx $@ 2>&1 >/tmp/lyx-output

Put that into /usr/local/bin/lyx, say, and it will get run instead of /usr/bin/lyx (assuming your PATH says so). Then if you want to see the terminal output, you can do:

u...@host> tail -f /tmp/lyx-output

And you can of course look back at anything that went by before this way, too.

rh

Thanks for any help you may have,
Jay