On 09/16/2009 11:09 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Wednesday 16 September 2009 10:50:44 matteo abeni wrote:
Hello,

I am using lyx to write my thesis. But i have a problem. when i write the
title and then the author and I see them as PDF file I have a problem cause
both stay in the top side of the A4 paper and the other part of the paper
stay blank. I wish to put title and author in the middle of the paper but i
can't. I tried /vspace{}, or insert>formatting>  vertical space, but they
didn't work. how can i do that?
My document class is Book(ams)
As Steve implied, the appearance of the title page is controlled by your document class, and there is no easy way to modify it, other than to redefine the routine, in the document class, that typesets the titlepage. Some document classes (koma-script?) may provide facilities for making such modifications, but the AMS book class is not one of them, so far as I know.

The reason the vertical space stuff does not work is that the title environment is really inserting the \title{...} command, which actually does nothing but set a variable. The titlepage itself is printed by the command \maketitle, which is what you would have to redefine, if you wanted to do the titlepage that way.

That said, why do you want the title in the center? The designers of the AMS book class went to a lot of trouble to design a titlepage that conformed to good typographical practice and would allow for lots of information to be included there. Are you absolutely sure your preferences, as compared to theirs, are well founded?

I should also add that most universities and such have pretty detailed specifications about the titlepage, so you may end up having to do more detailed formatting, anyway. In that case, a good start might be to try to borrow the \maketitle routine from one of the many thesis classes that are out there, and modify that as necessary.

We can help with that if necessary.

Richard