E. Kaplan wrote:
I installed Lyx 1.6.5 on a Windows XP laptop, using the altinstaller (the only one I could find for Windows that had 1.6.5). Before I installed it, I uninstalled the previous version, 1.6.4. When I try to launch Lyx, a DOS window flashes once or twice, and disappears. Lyx never appears.
It shouldn't be THAT  tricky, should it?

No, of course. I am using it on a Windows XP laptop from the 1.6.5 after uninstalling the 1.6.4.

Try the following, in a command prompt/console (if you do not have a shorcut for it somewhere in the start menu, type "cmd" in the run box)

1- cd to the lyx bin folder, something like
C:\Program Files\LyX 1.6.5

2- type "lyx.bat" and press return. See what happens.

3- type "lyx.exe" and press return. See what happens.

At that point, you may see error messages telling what's going wrong.

Are you using an antivirus? if yes, try to see if it reported something recently. I had cases of Kaspersky putting some important soft in quarantine as false positives (Matlab, and python in LyX 1.6.0/1.6.1 alt installer IIRC).

You may also want to rename your preference directory,
C:\Documents and Settings\userbname\Application Data\lyx16
to something else (e.g. "lyx16bak") and try again to run lyx.

Best regards,

Olivier

Help, please!
EK