I'm running the LyTex portable version of LyX 1.6.5  and I seem to be getting
the same results with an Article class document.  I get the heading Contents
but nothing else untill the first paragraph of the text.

A quick change to Book class gives me what appears to be a Chapter heading
Contents and then a running header Contents.  No actual ToC appears.

Strange