>The problem arouse when I needed to insert some obsolete Russian
>characters that were used before the 20th century. Namely, the letters
>yat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yat), fita
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fita) or izhitsa
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izhitsa): if I insert them to LyX via
Character Map,
>LyX refuses to produce a pdf, complaining that it can't recognize these
>characters. Is there any way to solve this problem?

Andrey,

One possible solution is the following:

1. Try to locate the unicodesymbols file (it's in the LyX's lib/resource
directory, but I'm not sure where this is on Ubuntu).

2. Add a line line

0x0462 "\\textcyr{\\char176}"     "textcyr" "" # CYRILLIC HISTORIC SMALL
LETTER YAT

to this file after the line:

0x045f "\\textcyr{\\char182}"     "textcyr" "" # CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER
DZHE

3. In LyX:

Insert->Special Character->Symbols, Category=Cyrillic.

At the end of the list of symbols shown, there will be a square. This is
your Yat character. If you insert this character in your document it
will be outputted correctly as the yat (although it will look like a
square in LyX).

Alternatively, you can enter in the command buffer: "unicode-insert
0462" and probably it will work too when using the Character Map.

Does this work ?

Vincent