On 26 February 2010 14:09,  <obregonma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also miss having a good outlining mode in LyX. At the moment I use Freemind
> mindmaps that I then pull into LyX via > > LaTeX.

I played around today with various options tried vym (view your mind)
which has some latex export - does not seem to export a complete
document, rather only the guts of it (between \begin{document} and
\end{document}), but allows for some text to come through and not just
an outline.  Didn't try to add any images. I'm sure it ought to be
possible to add to export filters. (I think this is a qt app). After a
little work I imported to LyX.

Tried kdissert (I believe this has now been superceeded by something
which I cannot remember the name of, and which depends on kde4).  More
sofisticated (sp?) output to article, book, beamer, prosper. Bit of
work and it imported ok into LyX (it is set up just to 'make')

I gave Rob Oakes' LyX Outliner a go too
(http://www.oak-tree.us/blog/index.php/science-and-technology/lyx-outline).
 I realise this is much less developed, but the interface is quite
appealing -- reminded me of 'brown paper' exercises we have done at
work.
Brown paper exercise - get a big roll of brown paper.  Stick on wall.
use post its to capture ideas.  Stick to brown paper -annotate paper
and re-arrange post its at leisure to structure ideas.

I am a big fan of mind maps, but sometimes brainstorming can just be
putting things down and then organising the thoughts afterwards and
setting appropriate levels.  I like having a mind map to see structure
and balance.

--
Stephen