>> I run LyX from a command window and watch what goes on in the
>> background. All goes fine through the whole process, texi2dvi runs and
>> finishes (and I can confirm that it finds and executes texi2dvi.exe in
>> the MiKTeX bin), and then LyX pukes an error that it cannot open the
>> PDF because the PDF does not exist. Indeed, if I check the temp
>> directory
>> for LyX, all files are present but the PDF. I get no other warnings or
>> errors from texi2dvi and cannot figure out why this happens.
>>
> Did you look at Document > LaTeX log? Sometimes it will display errors
> that are not popped-up by LyX.

That menu item is greyed out, presumably because I used a converter
through the batch file to make the PDF, so LyX wasn't really doing the
work (and thus does not have record of the transaction?).

>> Can someone help me figure out why texi2dvi fails to produce a PDF?
>> Does anyone know if it is perhaps something about MiKTeX and the way
>> the texi2dvi.exe works? Might it be possible to bypass that program
>> and do the conversion via LyX more directly after R finishes the
>> Sweaving and Stangling?
>>
> Did you try pdflatex, or ps2pdf?

Yeah, pdflatex works a charm when called on the tex file resulting
from Sweaving directly from the command line. That's what I was
getting at here. It seems like the issue is in R's function texi2dvi
(which calls MiKTeX's texi2dvi.exe to do the work), so I was hoping
there was some way to let the converter in LyX run the batch file,
pass the Sweaving/Stangling and TeX file production off to R, then
come back and run pdflatex out of LyX to get the PDF from the TeX
file. Surely this is possible?

Thanks a million for the help!