Hi there,

I am a recent convert to LyX, currently using v1.6.5 on Gentoo Linux.

It's been working quite alright, though I now have a need for some
pretty heavy duty multilingual text in a single document, specifically
at least Burmese, Chinese, Lao, Thai and Vietnamese in addition to
English, French and German, and this is causing a huge headache.

My problem at present is that if I type Chinese characters in to my
document, and the Document > Settings > Language > Encoding options is
set to something other than 'Unicode (XeTeX) (utf8)', then attempting
to view the document as PDF generates a LaTeX error.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time going back and forth between
the Unicode page (http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Unicode) and other web CJK /
TeX resources trying to solve the problem, but have thus far had no
luck.

A lot of the resources mentioned 'old' font processing techniques
(using fontforge?), and the path /usr/share/texmf/fonts/ however I
found that entering font names from there did not seem to work, and my
distribution's Cyberbit and some other mentioned fonts are TTF only,
installing in to /usr/share/fonts instead.

Turning to command line foo, I found that 'lyx -dbg font' told me that
the location of fonts being accessed on program startup was in fact
/usr/share/lyx/fonts:

Setting debug level to font
Debugging `font' (Font handling)
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//cmex10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//cmmi10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//cmr10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//cmsy10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//eufm10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//msam10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//msbm10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//wasy10.ttf OK
GuiFontLoader.cpp(209): Adding font /usr/share/lyx/fonts//esint10.ttf OK

This would appear to be an entirely different path to the rest of my
system, which uses /usr/share/fonts, and an entirely different path to
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/

I am appealing for help with getting arbitrary fonts to display
(including, if possible, Thai/Lao/Burmese style combining glyphs) in
my output as I do not wish or have time to become an expert in the
historical inadequacies of font formats, their various commercial
restrictions, format conversions, the evolution of TeX or LyX, or the
reason why LyX has not yet moved to the otherwise universal default of
utf8 for everything.

- Walter