Ah. Sorry for not being clear. Here's the sequence I use:

        1. Insert -> Float -> Figure (or Figure Wrap Float).
        2. Cursor is left in the Figure Caption box. I type something in here
(even if
I haven't thought up a caption yet).
        3. Move the cursor (with mouse or arrow keys) so that it's just to the
left of
"Figure #:".
        4. Press 'Enter' (I don't know if this step is strictly required, but
it
works).
        5. Insert -> Graphics (or Insert -> File -> External Material if I want
to put
in an XFig figure).
        6. Browse to the file to insert.If I've already done these steps for a
figure
and want to repeat for more figures, it's often easier for me to select the
float box and simply copy the whole damned thing to where I want another figure
to sit, and paste it in, then go back and change the figure and caption, etc.

Tuning the figure to be centered above the caption is often a matter of moving
the cursor to the inside of the float box and setting the "paragraph settings"
to "Alignment -> Center".

           Hope that helps, and that I've understood your original question!

"The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the
one is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to
the
unknowable." ~~Roger Zelazny, in "Lord of Light"