I am installing Lyx 1.6.9 on a Macbook Air OSX 10.6 . Looking through the instructions I was dismayed to see that I may have to install the 1.6 GB MacTex package. This machine only has a 64 GB drive so this is quite a lot of overhead not to mention that the download will take many hours on my basic DSL connection.

The Wiki suggests BasicTex but this thread suggests that is a bad idea
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg78404.html

Questions:
1. Has anyone had success installing and using Lyx with BasicTex (I am mainly interested in koma-script article document class)?

2. Any ideas on using an external USB drive to hold the installation package and then selecting the components I need for Lyx?

3. Any other ideas on how to reduce the drive space requirement?

TIA

Bob