On 15.09.2011 09:31, Matthias Hunstig wrote:
Hi,

It would be a good idea to export a file to LaTeX (pdflatex), then run
pdflatex against it in a DOS window.  That might help pin down whether there
are problems with your LaTeX (MiKTeX?) distribution.

I tried exporting three files and see three different behaviours. Looks like my
whole installation is even more broken than I thought. I think I will wipe all
LyX and MikTeX from disk and try re-installing afterwards.

If there anything I should delete after uninstalling the software from the Windows XP
Control Panel to end up with a "clean" system?

Matthias

Assuming windows 7, you may want to delete (or simply rename/move it) the LyX preferences folder ("lyx20"), in the AppData\Roaming folder in you home directory (the AppData folder is hidden).

that would be
C:\Users\your_login\AppData\Roaming\lyx20
on windows 7, and something like (from memory)
C:\Documents and Settings\your_login\AppData\Roaming\lyx20
on XP.

Also, some apps can help checking for leftovers ("ccleaner" is such an app) when uninstalling a soft (they are safe to use to analyse the left-overs, you may want to be careful if you use them for cleaning)

Sincerely,

Olivier