On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Rob Oakes <lyx-de...@oak-tree.us> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:51 AM, stefano franchi wrote:

>> I had some problems with biblatex/biber (which I also used instead of
>> bibtex) but no problems with Lualatex.
>
> I'd be really interested in hearing about using biber and biblatex. I'm
> really interested in moving away from bibtex to something else, and I've
> heard really good things.

Hi Rob,

that would make for a very long post---or a very short one: I
struggled quite a bit with biblatex initially, but LyX had nothing to
do with it. I find biblatex to be a truly exceptional and incredibly
flexible package that finally brings writing Humanities writing in
Latex up to the task.  Very sophisticated references can finally be
managed quite naturally(1) and the addition of biber makes
multilingual references/Unicode a problem of the past. However the
flexibility comes at the usual price: steep learning curve. I had to
modify the citation and reference styles to suit my publisher's needs
and it was a painful process. On the other hand, I did eventually
succeed with the help of biblatex's excellent documentation. With
BibTex, I would not have even tried.
The added complication, in my case, was that Biblatex was a fast
moving target when my project began. I started out at version 0.7 and
ended when it was at 1.3, I believe. I decided quickly not to chase
after it, and I settled on 0.9 until I was done. However, that meant
that my whole texlive installation was stuck with it, which was
unfortunate. Biblatex seems to have settled down somewhat, however.

Final comment: I am glad I jumped ship to biblatex/biber. Vast
improvement over bibtex (and its Humanities-oriented hacks like
JuraBib, which I was using before jumping ship). It handles complex
references very well and it can be customized with some effort. Steep
learning curve, for me, at the beginning.
For me,  Lyx+lualatex+memoir+biber/biblatex is the winning combination
for Humanities writing.

Cheers,

Stefano

(1) Consider a reference to th following text, which I had to deal
with multiple times: the introduction to an essay by Godel published
in the 3rd volume of his collected works, which has individual volume
editors as well as general editors. There are four authors involved:
introduction's, article's, volume's, and works', plus four related
titles, multiple dates, etc. The situation, while extreme, is not
uncommon.

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA