I'm working on creating the "perfect" step-by-step procedure for setting up a Linux workstation for scientific writing, based on LyX and with an emphasis on selecting the best available FOSS tools for creating graphics and performing computations. Whenever possible I wanted to select tools which are in common use, so that the skills being gained might have lasting value.

Here's the draft I have so far, which builds on something I mentioned on this list a while ago: http://russellb.livejournal.com/1335718.html

I believe a simplified guide such as this could be very helpful for students about to enter college to study one of the sciences, and I'm hoping members of this list might be able to offer suggestions for additional third-party tools, or enhancements to LyX, which may have been left out. I don't consider myself a LyX expert, but I do believe there is a need for something like this, and I gave this my best shot in the hopes of getting the ball rolling.

Russell