I just installed tex Live 2011 on a small netbook Wubi installation of Ubuntu
11.10. The new tex installation is in /usr/local/texlive/2011.

I would like to use it with LyX 2.0.0, installed from the Ubuntu repositories.
Currently Lyx is using tex Live 2009 which was installed with the LyX
installation.  I realise this is an old LyX version but one step at a time.

It looks fairly clear that I have to set some paths but just how to go about
this is another matter.  Searching showed up a couple of ideas (see below).
However Ignacio's and Stefano's posts assume some knowledge of Linux: I have
almost none.

Possibly I can modify the paths following Ignacio's advice with a judicious bit
of editing.  Ideally I could substitute /i386-linux for /x86_64-linux
However I have no clear idea where to put it.  Ignatio's advice is to put it in
.bashrc but so far, I have not found it.  Could it be a difference in ubuntu
11.10?
Currently when I do a tex -v I get:
TeX 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
kpathsea version 5.0.0
Copyright 2009 D.E. Knuth.
When I try to invoked tlmgr I get:
john@ubuntu:~$ tlmgr
No command 'tlmgr' found, did you mean:
 Command 'vlmgr' from package 'qdbm-util' (universe)
 Command 'rlmgr' from package 'qdbm-util' (universe)
tlmgr: command not found

Any advice would be most welcome.