On 04/24/2012 02:49 PM, Peter Coles wrote:

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Manolo Martínez <man...@austrohungaro.com <mailto:man...@austrohungaro.com>> wrote:

    On 04/24/12 at 04:19pm, Peter Coles wrote:
    > Hi all --
    >
    > A journal has requested that the hanging indent in my
    bibliography be exactly .5
    > inches.  Is there an easy way to do this using lyx?
    >
    > I am using lyx 2.0, bibtex, article class, natbib, and aea.bst.
    >
    > Many thanks!
    > Peter
    >
    > (I tried searching the forum on this topic, and could only find
    outdated or
    > inapplicable responses.)

I don't have time to play around with this right now, but the answer is, yes, of course, one can do anything in LaTeX. In this case, article.cls sets the bibliography using:

\newenvironment{thebibliography}[1]
     {\section*{\refname}%
      \@mkboth{\MakeUppercase\refname}{\MakeUppercase\refname}%
      \list{\@biblabel{\@arabic\c@enumiv}}%
           {\settowidth\labelwidth{\@biblabel{#1}}%
            \leftmargin\labelwidth
            \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
            \@openbib@code
            \usecounter{enumiv}%
            \let\p@enumiv\@empty
            \renewcommand\theenumiv{\@arabic\c@enumiv}}%
      \sloppy
      \clubpenalty4000
      \@clubpenalty \clubpenalty
      \widowpenalty4000%
      \sfcode`\.\@m}
     {\def\@noitemerr
       {\@latex@warning{Empty `thebibliography' environment}}%
      \endlist}

So the bibliography is itself set as a list, with the individual items set using \bibitem (which is defined in latex.ltx).

The list parameters are defined in this block:

{\settowidth\labelwidth{\@biblabel{#1}}%
            \leftmargin\labelwidth
            \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
            \@openbib@code
            \usecounter{enumiv}%
            \let\p@enumiv\@empty
            \renewcommand\theenumiv{\@arabic\c@enumiv}}

It's just the first few that are relevant here. See e.g.
    http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/ownlists.htm
for a description of what you might try changing. Ultimately, you'd need to do:
    \renewenvironment{thebibliography}[1]{....}

Richard