On Tue, 29 May 2012 00:03:08 +0000 (UTC), ddiedrichs said:
> Steve Litt <slitt <at> troubleshooters.com> writes:
>

> > On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:11:41 +0000 (UTC), ddiedrichs said:
> > > it's an article
> >
> > Context???
> >

> I cannot change the default strings 'Contents', 'List of Figures',
> etc. that are generated as titles of these sections.  I have tried
> putting in the preamble commands of the type:
>
> \renewcommand{\contentsname}{Table of Contents}
>
> But nothing works.  I am typing in English without the babel package.

Hi ddiedrichs,

I reproduced your symptom in an article based document, putting
\renewcommand{\contentsname}{Table of Contents} in the document
preamble, as you would expect it should be. Like you, my document
continued to print the table of contents title as "Contents". So then I
exported to LaTeX, fooled around with it, and discovered it works only
if \renewcommand{\contentsname}{Table of Contents} is in the document
itself, not the document header.

So I went back into LyX, removed \renewcommand{\contentsname}{Table of
Contents} from the document preamble, and put it in an ERT before the
Table of Contents, and it did the right thing.

I'm attaching a 1.8K example LyX file that properly changes the
contents name.

If this solves your problem, please reply and mark the subject as
<SOLVED> so others who follow you know what to do. I found this to be
very surprising behavior.

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt