On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:53:50 -0700
Roger House <rho...@sonic.net> wrote:

> I'm using Lyx for the first time and find it, by and large, quite
> nice. However, I've run into a situation where Lyx's automatic
> vertical layout is creating ugly output.  Example:
>
>    input
>      text
>      small figure
>      caption
>      text
>      large figure (taking an entire page)
>
>    output
>      PAGE BREAK
>      text
>      small figure
>      LOTS OF VERTICAL WHITESPACE
>      caption
>      LOTS OF VERTICAL WHITESPACE
>      text
>      PAGE BREAK
>      large figure (taking an entire page)
>
> I want a page break before the large figure, so that works fine.
.
.
.

> I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to prevent the layout
> shown above.

Roger,

The obvious solution would be to put a "vertical
fill" (Insert->Formatting->Vertical Space->VFill) after the second
text, and follow it with a page break (Ctrl-Enter).

However, I'd suggest you reconsider the need for having the large
figure quite so large (so it would fit on the same page) or,
alternatively, making the small figure larger, so it fills some of the
empty space.

But make sure your document has pretty much its final content, and you
are happy with the margins and font size (etc.) before you start making
changes to get the page breaks making sense: changing these  things
will change the page breaks anyway.

Les