On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:43:24 +0100
Jan Helebrant <jan.helebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) to move to LYX, but I am unsure whether it is possible to at least
> partially import current work or whether I would have to define all the
> styles again from scratch. I still will have all input files for the
> report as DOC or DOCX files. Second, I assume that LYX should be able to
> handle large texts as books etc. but have no practical experience with
> it so would be fine to know how it could behave.

Jan,

Firstly, LyX can definitely handle the type of document you are talking
about. I have often used LyX for very large reports. A recent example was
a technical report with the following attributes:

* 368 pages in the PDF file.
* over 250 figures.
* six appendices
* a detailed index
* a detailed table of contents
* a detailed list of figures
* a Bibtex bibliography
* hundreds of footnotes
* every figure correctly cross-referenced in the text with clickable links
  in the PDF
* color logos in header and footer on every page
* file size about 400MB

For this project I used the Koma Book class in LyX. The contributions from
other members of the project team were largely supplied to me in PDF form
(generated usually in PowerPoint or MS Word). I copied text from the PDF
files using the Acrobat Reader select tool and pasted it directly into LyX.
For figures I used the Acrobat Reader snapshot tool and pasted the
captured image into Gimp, or used pdfimages. Where the contribution
included full page vector images in the PDF file I occasionally used pdftk
to extract a one-page PDF for use in the LyX file.

There are tools to import files from Word/LibreOffice, but in my
experience they don't work very well. I have had the best results when I
exported HTML from Libre Office or Word, but in most cases the copy &
paste is less hassle than fixing the glitches generated in importing files.

Les