Thanks, Liviu-- this was very helpful. However:
  1. It still leaves open the question of why I cannot compile a document (with neither Xetex nor Luatex) with a font that is available from the (non-TeX) Lyx's list of fonts.
  2. I guess that since the standard Palatino is really URWPalladio, then that entry in the non-TeX list should be removed and Palatino should be renamed as URWPalladio.
This foray into the world of font names, copyrights and shapes has been fascinating and educational for me.

Yours,
Ehud