 From: Marshall Feldman <ma...@uri.edu>
To: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Cc: Scott Kostyshak <skost...@princeton.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 4:57:01 PM
Subject: Re: Spanners in tables

On 4/26/13 4:12 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Marshall Feldman <ma...@uri.edu> wrote:
>Hello, The standard format for formal tables uses spanners to indicate columns
>with
similar, related content. I am using LyX with the "formal" tables option set
to on. But I don't see how to introduce spanners into a table.. For example,
suppose a table has two lines of headings. Suppose further that
row 1 has "Revenue" as a heading and that below this the table has two
headings, "Sales" and "Interest." So we would like the line beneath
"Revenue" to span two columns with a solid line, and for there to be enough
space at the edges of the spanned columns for the reader to make out that
the spanner is indeed separate from adjacent columns. See this page for
examples. So how does one handle spanners in LyX?
>Hi Marshall, If I understand correctly, what you refer to as "spanners" LyX
>would
refer to as "multi-column". In a table, select a couple of rows and
click on "multi-column" in the table toolbar (which is at the bottom
of the screen and is activated when the cursor is in a table). Best, Scott
Thanks, Scott.

Well it's not exactly multicolumn, at least not how I understand
    this term. A cell that's multicolumn spans more than one column.
    This relates to spanners, but it's only part of the issue.

A spanner is a line under the heading for the multicolumn cell. The
    line does not run the full width of the original columns that went
    into the multicolumn cell. Since the spanner typically serves as a
    heading indicating which columns fall under the heading, there has
    to be some way to distinguish the columns falling under the heading
    from other, adjacent columns. This is why the spanner line is
    shorter than the combined widths of the original columns: whitespace
    on either side of the line separates it from lines in adjacent
    cells.

I'll try to draw a picture:

                            Greetings                            Century
These dashed lines are "spanners"
                        Coming                    Going            18    19
20    21
Mardis Gras    Want beads?    Happy Mardi Gras
    X       X
Xmas              Merry Xmas    Merry Xmas
    X     X       X

Thanks for your help.

    Marsh