Oh of course! It's obvious when you say that.  As I say, I just don't have a
mind-map of LyX/LateX yet.

Thanks for all the help.

________________________________
 From: Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com>
To: John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca>
Cc: Users LyX <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 10:18:26 AM
Subject: Re: Problem producing tables with knitr and xtable

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM, John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I finally got it. It was the xtable placed within the float that was causing
> the table error.  Once I had realised that and got rid of the APA6 issue
> which was due to the fact that APA6 requires a title then it was fine.
> Thanks for all the help.

Great.

> This is working fine
> <<atable,results="asis", echo=FALSE>>=
> library(xtable)
> data(tli)
> tli.table <- xtable(tli[1:20, ], caption = "An xtable example", label =
> "tab:A table")
> digits(tli.table)[c(2, 6)] <- 0
> print(tli.table,  caption.placement="top")
> @
>
> One question though, you say "Use print.xtable(...,floating=F) to avoid
> this. Do you mean that if I want to place it with a LyX float that the code
> below should work?  Currently it gives an error.
> <<atable,results="asis", echo=FALSE>>=
> library(xtable)
> data(tli)
> tli.table <- xtable(tli[1:20, ], caption = "An xtable example", label =
> "tab:A table")
> digits(tli.table)[c(2, 6)] <- 0
> print(tli.table,  caption.placement="top", floating=FALSE)
> @

I suspect that if you want floating=FALSE (and put it into a float
within LyX), then you should avoid caption = "An xtable example"  and
caption.placement="top". Setting either of these arguments could
automatically force floating=T. (The help page seems silent on this.)
If I remember, the first .lyx file that I sent you worked exactly as
you want here.

Liviu