And I just realised that \documentclass[12pt,letterpaper]{apa6} in LaTex gives
the same error as I get with LyX

________________________________
 From: John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca>
To: Lyx List <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 10:51:51 AM
Subject: ctable does not work with article(APA)

The attached file uses 'article' and runs.  Change to APA or APA6 and one gets
an error message saying LaTeX error: command\tnote already defined.

I'm probably just doing something stupid but I was having a look at ctable and
found that it bombs with the document classes article(APA) and article(APA6).
It seems fine with other article classes, report and paper. It even compiles
though looks funny in handout(tufte).  I have tried running it with all the
normally expected APA environments as well with no luck.

It  runs with no problem in LaTeX with \documentclass[12pt,letterpaper]{apa}.

Any suggestions?
Thanks