On 29/06/2013 9:58 a.m., stefano franchi wrote:
I'd like to shorten the size of the onscreen label for various insets
("Label" "Index" and so on), as I find them very distracting when
writing.  I vaguely remember a discussion about this, but I cannot find
any trace of it in the lists, or on Google, or in the customization
manual. Perhaps I am not searching for the right terms.

Memory aides appreciated

Cheers,

Stefano

Open LyX 2.0.6/Resources/layouts/stdinsets.inc in a text editor and change the LabelString value for the relevant inset(s). I also find (having just tested it) that if I save the modified stdinsets.inc under that name to my personal LyX2.0/Layouts folder, so that it isn't overwritten when LyX is updated, then next time I start LyX the revised LabelString values are used.

Andrew