On 02 Sep 2013, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I'm writing a book (book class) in which I want to have marginal notes
> containing symbols, rather like the Dummies series. As it's a book I'm
> using the two-sided layout.
>
> This works OK using the marginal note command, but after I put a blank
> page at the beginning (needed to make the title page etc. appear on the
> correct side), the marginal notes come out on the wrong sides of the
> pages in the body of the text.
>
> I found the command \reversemarginpar, which corrects the error except
> that the notes are now too far away from the text, right at the edge of
> the page.
>
> Any way to fix this? I tried adding width arguments, e.g. [width=12pt]
> and [width=0.5in] without effect.

Since no one has answered this I have dug further and come up with this
bug report from 1999, saying that it is due to a deep problem in the
Latex engine:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg05248.html

The only workaround suggested is to put \clearpage or \eject above the
section header, but of course this introduces an unwanted page break.

As far as I can see this makes marginal notes unusuable for the book
class. Unless I'm wrong, perhaps it should be documented in the help
files?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk