Strange problem with LyX2.1 dev under Ubuntu 13.04 & TexLive

I have a relatively well well-setup default template in LyX 2.06 with the APA6
Class (created by using the “save as document defaults” button under Document >
Settings.

I decided to recreate it in 2.1 and after setting all the defaults in a new
document clicked on “save as document defaults” and got an error message which,
of course I did not save.

This action seemed to corrupt the default template. See error messages below
when I attempted to load a new document.

/home/john/.lyx2.1/templates/defaults.lyx is not a readable LyX document.

The specified document template ~/.lyx2.1/templates/defaults.lyx could not be
read.

As a workaround I saved a blank default document created in 2.0.6 loaded it
into 2.1 and clicked on “save as document defaults”. Bingo things are working
fine.

Have I stumbed over some kind of bug or just some weird occurance on my system?