That was interesting.

Evidently Firefox had decided for me that it would take over handling the
FTP protocol. When I pasted
ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/lyx-2.1/lyx-2.1.0beta2 into Safari, it
opened Firefox. I hadn't noticed before because I usually use a standalone
FTP client.

I used the RCDefaultApp preference pane (
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/) to give FTP handling back
to Finder. Safari then turned the FTP handling over to Finder and I was
then able to connect as a guest and drag and drop the Mac dmg into my
Downloads folder. A little slow, over 10 minutes to download, but it worked.

Safari 6.1.1 on OS X 10.8.5.

-- Rich