>I am not sure how to do this reliably. I do not see why one could use
>the markup you describe, except maybe in bibliography. The problem is
>that it is never possible to assume safely that a macro does not change
>its environment (think {\bf}).

Hm: I'm probably missing something here. :)

I thought that  tex2lyx translated these macros away from macros to
char-encodings, and thus is should be, in these cases, safe to remove
the braces as part of the conversion.

However, one could argue that the writer2latex is doing it wrong as you
probably should write \ae{} instead  of {\ae}. (tex2lyx does remove
the {} after \ae{}, but I see how that is more safe to remove)

Sadly this is not only a problem in the bibliography as we use these characters
a lot. :)

Ingar
Dewey, J. (2001), Erfaring og tenking. (f{\o}rst utgitt 1916). I Dale E.
L.: \emph{Om utdanning. Klassiske tekster.} Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk
Forlag.

Fuglestad, O. L. \& Wadel, C. C. (2011), Feltarbeid som prosess. Ny
metodedel. I Wadel, C., Fuglestad, O. L. \& Wadel, C. C.:
\emph{{\textquotedblright}Og kven si skuld er
det?{\textquotedblright}} (s. 175-268). Gimlemoen:
H{\o}yskoleforlaget.

Furu, E. M. (2007), \emph{Rak l{\ae}rerygg: aksjonsl{\ae}ring i
skolen}. Dr. grad avhandling, Universitetet i Troms{\o}.

Halvorsen, A. (2009), Praktikerforskning -- legitimt og nyttig bidrag i
kunnskapsutvikling. I Johnsen H. C. G, Halvorsen, A og Repstad, P
(red.): \emph{{\AA} forske blant sine egne}. Kristiansand:
H{\o}yskoleforlaget.

Jarvis, P. (2002), \emph{Praktiker-forskere: utvikling af teori fra
praksis}. K{\o}benhavn: Alinea.

\ae{} \o{} \aa{}
\AE{} \O{} \AA{}
{\ae} {\o} {\aa}