I would like to weigh in on this (not sure if this is the
right place). I really hope it would be possible to compile
in spite of bibtex errors. I have hundreds of
LyX files, and none of them compile any more.
Let's say I collaborate with a colleague (who uses
LaTeX). The colleague gives me a BiBTeX
file. I use a few references from there. But
the file has problems with other entries.
Now I have to go in and correct my colleagues
numerous (non-important) errors just
to get these few reference.

One idea of LyX is that it's a front-end
to LaTeX. But now suddenly, things that
compile fine in LaTeX (many BibTeX errors
are non-essential) no longer works in
LyX. That makes it difficult to
collaborate with people who use LaTeX
(I certainly try to "sell" LyX to my colleagues,
but many are too used to pure LaTeX).