So it appears that the reason is that biber does not escape the abstract of
a reference, even if it doesn't at all display that abstract. Specifically
this is occurring if a percentage sign is within the abstract. Apparently
all percentage signs must be escaped? Is this a bug with lyx or with biber?

~Ben