On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 01:08:47 +0530
 Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
<fredericknoro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> * What is the easiest way to convert a Lyx file (with images) to epub?
> * How can one ensure this will be consistent with epub standards?
> * Any site to test the resultant epub?
> * Can Lyx developers help to develop some tools that make it easy to
> create epub and other formats of ebooks?

Frederick,

I've done this for several books. From my experience the answer to your
questions are:

* Conversion
1. Export your file to LyXHTML
2. Using your favorite text editor (I use vi), delete the first line of
the file (something like <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>) and
save as type HTML.
3. The file can now be imported into Sigil
  (http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/files/OEBPS/Text/introduction.html),
  which saves files in epub format.

* Epub standards
Sigil includes the FlightCrew validator, and also a link to validate
stylesheets with W3C.

* Testing the epub
I don't know of any site for testing, other than
  http://validator.idpf.org/, which as far as I know does exactly the
  same as the Sigil validator. The real problem is that no e-reader
  supports the standards completely and exactly, so you need to test
  your epub on several readers. I use Nook, Calibre and FBreader.

* LyX development
I'll leave this to developers.

Without images, the conversion is straightforward, with the main
problem being how to handle footnotes: as epub is reflowable, the
concept of footnote does not exist, so you will have to decide how to
handle them. Sigil gives you the tools to implement any solution you
decide on, but it may involve a lot of detailed editing.

Images complicate the conversion. Do you want small images in a fixed
location in the text? That is fairly easy. So is putting all the images
at the end of a chapter (or at the end of the book). But if you want
clickable links to images, and a clickable link to return you to the
page you were on, it can become very complicated, and involve a lot of
hand editing. But again, Sigil has all the tools you need for this.

I hope this helps,

Les
  • ... Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
    • ... Les Denham
      • ... Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
        • ... Alan L Tyree
        • ... Steve Litt