El,

can't you use deadkeys in LyX on Mac?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_key#Dead_keys_on_various_keyboard_layouts

You might also want to try changing the keyboard layout to US International:

>From
>http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=Howtotypeletterswit20100304073426167:

"If you use the US International - PC keyboard layout, you instantly get the
fast way of entering the letters with diacritics!

International - PC
 input method in the list of Input Methods. (If you also use other Input
 Methods, uncheck the others or select the US International - PC method
as the current Input Method.)

Now you can use the fastest way of entering these characters.
For á, é, í, ó, ú: press ' and directly after that, the vowel.For à, è, ì, ò,
ù: press ` and directly after that, the vowel. (Note
 that ` is slightly different slightly different from ' ... on my
keyboard, it is located right of the left-side Shift key.)For ä, ë, ï, ö, ü:
press " and directly after that, the vowel.For ã, ñ, õ: press ˜ and directly
after that, the letter.

NOTE: Setting your keyboard layout to US International - PC
could change the location of some other  symbols if you ordered your Mac
 with an other-than-International keyboard. In my case, everything was
still where it should be, but check this and experiment a little with it
 and find out what best suits your needs."