Actually, I am not taking a hard-line position that
*thou shall not sell mail art.* Just to think over
what you are doing exactly and what it means.

I have been posting regularly various postcard
benefits where handmade postcards are sold and the
money given to charity. Mail artists have not been
complaininng about this kind of selling of mail art.

However, Dragonfly has stated clearly that she does
NOT want to sell the mail art.

Very well, but then you have to sell something else.

Why is it OK to sell one kind of art and not another
kind of art. If an artist makes something, and sends
it to Dragonfly, knowing the intention is to sell it,
and share the profit with the artist, why is that
different than anything else she would sell?

Participating in mail art myself has made me think
over some of these questions and I can't say I have
any clear answers. I am not starting a gallery either,
so I am not on the hot wire!

One thing that mail art has taught me, ironically, is
to appreciate selling my work. When I send my mail art
out to anyone, I have no idea if they will want it,
will like it, or what they will do with it. They could
easily destroy it. That limits me on how much time and
effort I am willing to put into a mail art piece,
knowing that whoever gets it, even someone with a
call, even someone I have corresponded with before,
might destroy it. Or alter it in a way that would not
please me. I am not going to mail out an oil painting
in archivial materials that I spent 2000 hours on!!!!

So the trick in mail art is to make something simple
and witty or interesting that doesn't take so many
hours that my heart will break if they throw it out. I
try to make something of QUALITY, but of a certain
level.

However, when someone offers me MONEY for art that I
make, then I know that that persone really WANTS my
art. They are not going to buy my art and then throw
it in the trash. They want my art because they love
the art. And that is the BEST reason for someone to
have my art.

If I were famous, the problem might be that they want
to buy my art for investment purposes, and not because
they love the art. However, I am far from famous, so
that is not my problem.

I don't mean to be giving Dragonfly a hard time as
much as I find these questions interesting. So forgive
me, Dragonfly. But I do hope you find these questions
worth pondering.

What do you think of the museum idea, btw?

- T