Hello Paul,

I recall that you have an iPhone 3GS.  The effectiveness of an OCR app is set
by the camera on your iOS device.  I get good results with Prizmo on an iPhone
4.  I think it might be more problematic on an iPhone 3GS.  I've also found
Prizmo to be the most robust program to use if you are taking an image for OCR
with your device.  I've also used ABBYY TextGrabber, but you have to be more
precise about your alignment to use this.  Both these programs will work for
many other languages besides English.  And I think Perfect OCR was the first
such app I tried to use, by the way, and I tested it on French text!

Prizmo and ABBYY TextGrabber will recognize text that is upside down or rotated
by 90 degrees, provided you have aligned your camera well.  (I don't remember
trying that with Perfect OCR, but other OCR apps will not necessarily work
unless the text is correctly oriented.)

It is easier to get started with Text Detective and get some results.  I think
one reason is that you hold the iPhone in landscape mode when you take your
picture, while the page is in portrait mode.  This makes it easier to keep the
camera aligned, and also you can use the edge of the page as a reference guide.
The issue for me is that this only gives me a part of a page, and no easy way
to combine the results, whereas with Prizmo or TextGrabber I can get a whole
page in one shot.  But this works very well if you need to read the address
information on a letter or some specific part of a page.  I'd also guess that
low vision users might like this app a lot.   It helps that this was designed
for blind users, so usage is simple.  With Prizmo you double tap the "next"
button a few times, because you skip over the screens that allow for
interactive manipulation of the image, such as cropping, before sending to OCR.

There's a user guide for Prizmo at the AppleVis web site.

HTH.  Cheers,