hey,
thanks for getting back to me.
your message helps a great deal believe me.
at least i still have an unconverted coppy of the TV files i was tryig to move
so i can start again.
thanks for the info

Michael
On 22/05/2013, at 12:40 PM, Travis Siegel <tsie...@softcon.com> wrote:

> I don't have a version of osx that allows moves via finder.  I do however
> have experience with moving files in osx and the problems it can generate if
> not done properly.
> One way to loose files in osx is to move files from one drive to another,
> then reboot your machine.  Because a normal unix move command simply moves
> file pointers, and not the files themselves, a typical move command in unix
> will copy the files first if the physical locations are not the same, then
> remove the originals instead of just moving the file pointers.
> Unfortunately, in osx, this process doesn't happen.  Osx will happily move
> the file pointers for you no matter what physical media the files are on.
> I'm guessing your files were in mid move when you pressed the stop button,
> and as a result, the new file pointers never got written.  This means those
> files are probably still sitting happily on your original disk, in their
> original location, but osx has no way to know this, so as a result, those
> files are (for all practical purposes) gone.  There may be some utilities out
> there that could find them and repair the damage, but if there are, I don't
> know what they are.  U
 nfortunately, file moves are very problematic under osx, which is probably why
apple left it out of the finder for so many osx releases.  To be honest, I'm
surprised it was allowed in the latest osx release, I'd been given to
understand that apple's policy was that copying was far better than moving, and
they had no intention of adding a move feature.  And, I'd wager this type of
thing is exactly why they didn't add it earlier.