Hello Linda,

TextEdit is a simplified word processor which is very useful, but it isn't a
professional tool.

Pages, on the other hand, is much more sophisticated and can produce all kinds
of professional documents.

Everyone has different requirements. I couldn't work as a professional
translator without Pages since MS Office isn't accessible. You can create
templates in Pages which is a useful feature. It's handy to have a template for
business letters, for instance. It can save a lot of time.

However, until you're really comfortable with VoiceOver, Pages is likely to be
more trouble than it's worth, and TextEdit is so easy to use.

Cheers,

Anne