Two questions for MacFUSE developers:

1) Effect of noapplespecial

Please, is the effect of -o noapplespecial limited to
reading from a volume for which the option is set?

Or, is noapplespecial intended to suppress
writing as well as reading of ._ and .DS_Store files?

(The answer is not as obvious as one might imagine;
AFAIK if Finder can't read a ._ file on a file system
on which ._ is required, then Finder may not successfully
copy the file to which the ._ counterpart relates.)

2) Advisability of noapplespecial

My sense at the moment is that noapplespecial should be
discouraged, to the same degree (but for different reasons) that
allow_root is discouraged.

Thoughts?

I appreciate that noapplespecial is experimental but
we're considering user opinions of ._ and .DS_Store files ...

==========
Background
==========

1) Re Finder and .DS_Store files, Apple offer advice
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301711> but

>> Please note that disabling the creation of .DS_Store files on
>> remote file servers can cause unexpected behavior in the Finder

2) Unless I'm missing something, Apple offer
no way to suppress ._ dot underscore files.
I understand why they should not be suppressed.

3) TinkerTool appears to observe (1) but does not work around (2).

4) As there are often good reasons for the presence of ._
and .DS_Store files I tend towards the Apple way, I recommend
neither removal nor suppression .

5) For environments in which ._ or .DS_Store are a problem,
there are various solutions.

WinFSCleanser <http://home.comcast.net/~themacgeek/> seems to
work fine with volumes mounted via MacFUSE/SSHFS/MacFusion
and the developer makes good use of log files, see for example
<http://pastie.textmate.org/68528>.

Brief experiments with noapplespecial and
Finder, Path Finder and NeoOffice

<http://groups.google.com/group/MacFusion-devel/browse_frm/thread/
f0d6fd9d64e2c6a1>

==================
Related discussion
==================

At <http://groups.google.com/group/MacFusion-devel/browse_frm/thread/
67b3e3e141cdc162>:

> ... I'll draft a more calming explanation ...

I'm taking in <http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter11/macfuse/>
and the like before finalising my thoughts on all of this.

##

Off-list, I wrote:

> First and foremost,
>
>> Re Finder and ._ files, Apple offer
>> NO way to suppress dot underscore files.
>
> I do understand your frustration.
>
> Questions re: Mac OS and Finder are best addressed to Apple.
>
> For discussion of
> MacFUSE development and advanced usage issues -- including the
> sshfs-static binary, and the noapplespecial option for MacFUSE:
> <http://groups.google.com/group/macfuse-devel/about>
>
> For discussion of the MacFusion GUI:
> <http://groups.google.com/group/MacFusion-devel/about>
>
> At <http://code.google.com/p/macfusion/wiki/Explanations>
> we should make clearer the distinctions.

Done.

> When I'm less busy, I will:
>
> a) offer more specific comments regarding your examples

Done, off-list.

> b) draft more adequate explanations regarding ._

Ongoing.

##

Later in <http://groups.google.com/group/MacFusion-devel/browse_frm/
thread/67b3e3e141cdc162>:

> As far as the _ ( dot underscore ) files are concerned and considering
> the macFusion team has expressed that they are apples problem,
> I have 2 questions ( they are kinda far in though ).

I don't suggest that ._ files are a problem but
I do    recognise that their proper use can be
problematic for some users.

> First, if that is your stance and I did not intemperate that
> incorrectly, I have something to say.  I have been a web developer for
> over 8 years and in that time there are countless work-a-rounds which
> I had to implement in my code ( and I'm sure 99% of web developers as
> well ) to compensate for an action of a browser that didn't behave as
> expected.  Like the ._ files with apple, this too is the
> responsibility of the developers of the browser, in most cases M$.
> So, since we can all pretty much predict, apple will not provide any
> solution to problems created by these ._ files when being used on
> unsupported filesystem types.

FWIW I don't share this prediction, in my experience Apple are
far more co-operative than Microsoft.

I have managed AppleShare and other file servers since the
mid-1990s,long before AppleShare IP, long before Mac OS X, so I
have watched the ._ and .DS_Store debates over many years with
interest but I confess: it's only in the past two weeks that my
own selfish interests have led me to figure out some of what's
*truly* going on with ._ files.

Re <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106510> and the
like, people most often think of ._ files as synonymous with
resource forks; but ._ has purpose beyond this.

For example: a Finder copy routine may require a ._ write
at the destination, at some point during the copy -- even
when the source file has no resource fork.

For those of you with an interest in the history:
the ._ in that situation includes the strings
'brok' and 'MACS' to denote a file that is
busy, a file that is being created by Finder.

Ah, misty coloured memories of the jack-in-the box ...
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/resedit/resedit-2.html>!

I'm still curious, still learning :-)

> Therefore,  the fact that macFuse and
> macFusion are ultimately responsible for the management of ._
> and .DS_Store files and any other file management on non-apple
> supported file systems that macFuse provides here are my 2 questions.
>
> Question 1:  Since I have given examples above of why Apple is NOT
> responsible for the management of ._ and .DS_Store files on
> UNSUPPORTED file systems then it is up to someone else to take that
> responsibility upon themselves.  So, whose responsibility is it,
> macFuse's or macFusions?
>
> Question 2:  If which project should be responsible cannot be decided,
> why can't macFusion ( in future releases of course ) offer user
> selectable options to enable "management" of ._ files on mount types
> such as sshfs and ftpfs ( where they are the biggest nuisance ), and
> by "management" I mean delete them immediately after they are created?

Files such as .DS_Store can be a nuisance with protocols/systems
other than sshfs and ftpfs - including but not limited to SMB/CIFS
and WebDAV -- but as noted  at
blocking (or removing) such files:

 >> can degrade the experience for ... users who are working in the
 >> Finder. Similar to a read-only volume, client metadata for
 >> folders on mounted ... volumes, such as icon positions and view
 >> options, will not be persistent from one login to the next.

Removing or blocking ._ files can be degrading in other ways.

I'm not devaluing solutions such as WinFSCleanser.

Rather: I caution against configurations that might -- in any
situation -- lead to unexpected loss of data.

(Example: a lab administrator might be tempted to set the
noapplespecial option, or something comparable, for the benefit of
service administrators -- but this could be degrading for end
users.)

My esteem for Cyberduck fell after I discovered that it had
silently, with no warning, stripped valuable data from
many of my files.

Kind regards
Graham