We at Astoria applaud anyone who can see beyond. Hope this will help.

Our school has about 400 users and about 150 computers. . . . three of them being Windows and the rest Macs. Our oldest are "fruity" iMacs less than 6 years old. I know 6 years seems long to many readers but a quick check of eBay shows these still sell for over $200 plus shipping each. That is more than a quarter the cost of a replacement unit.

Our budget has averaged $50000 for the past 6 years. With that we have replaced 1/6 of the computers each year, paid all networking expenses, bought the ink, software, paper, video converters, TVs, digital cameras, scanners...well, just about everything tech related. We have provided inservice (and paid the attending teachers). An average of five 45 minute periods have been set aside for tech during the school day and an average of $6000 paid to our tech people for work outside the school day and during the summer. Our total cost during this time for outside tech support is well under $500.

We provide state of the art software including Microsoft Office (Version X), Photoshop, Macromedia Studios, KidPix, and others.

Hope these figures will help you convince those you work with that Apple provides more for less.

Oh, we used these argument with ours:
Most users spend 5 percent of their time working in the OS, the rest of the time in applications and it is application skills employers seek.
Our network (Appleshare to OSX server) has never had a full day of downtime. Total downtime in 6 years is less than 12 hours.
We haven't needed to run antivirus software on Macs.
The only vandalism we have had has been stolen mouse balls and three physically damaged computers - no one has been able to damage a software install or OS.

Best of Luck

Mike Worman
Tech Director
Astoria Schools