> On Jan 12, 2015, at 3:26 AM, David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> cc'ing macosx-port-dev and hotspot-dev
>
> On 12/01/2015 8:41 PM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-01-12 00:02, David Holmes wrote:
>>> Hi David,

>>> The hotspot makefiles still haven't been rewritten (though Magnus had
>>> been working on it).
>>>
>>> Also I was under the impression that we used the universal stuff
>>> because we had to deliver in a particular way on OSX. But I don't know
>>> the details and the people who dealt with the original OSX port effort
>>> are no longer here.
>>>
>> I don't know why Hotspot is packaged as a universal binary. In the jdk,
>> only libJObjC was built as a universal binary and that lib was removed
>> before JDK 8 shipped. What part of Macosx would need to interact
>> directly with libjvm.dylib in a way that required a (fake) universal
>> format, but no other libs in the jdk? I would say go ahead and change it.
>
> In the spirit of "never take down a fence until you know why it was put up in
> the first place" I've cc'd macosx-port-dev to see if there is anyone around
> who recalls why hotspot is using the universal binary feature.
>
> David H.
> -------

I did the original universal binary work for hotspot when bringing up
macosx-port.

At the time we were building and testing JDK 7 as universal (i386+x86-64) since
e.g. some apps had JNI code that was only built 32-bit.
The other jdk components didn't need any makefile work, because the compiler
can build them universal by itself, but hotspot autogenerates a lot of
arch-specific code and it was easier to build it twice and glue them together
in the makefile.

As long as Java is only been shipped 64-bit these days, I personally don't see
a reason to keep it.