On Dec 19, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Ray Zimmerman wrote:

I'm running Tiger with my own perl-5.8.6 installed in /usr/local/ perl-5.8.6 and symlink at /usr/bin/perl pointing to /usr/local/ perl-5.8.6/bin/perl with a TON of CPAN modules. It was also used to build an apache/ mod_perl setup.

For a number of reasons I'm upgrading a bunch of things and would like to upgrade to perl-5.8.7 WITHOUT having to re-install all of the CPAN modules. What is the "best" way to do this? I think what I want is to have the following directories ...

    /usr/local/perl-5.8.6/lib/site_perl/5.8.6/darwin-2level
    /usr/local/perl-5.8.6/lib/site_perl/5.8.6
    /usr/local/perl-5.8.6/lib/site_perl

... automagically appended to @INC. Is there a Configure option to do that or something?

If you do the interactive configuration, it asks at one point if you want to add directories to the module search path. You'll know it when you see it - it specifically mentions an upgrade scenario where you want to access previously-installed CPAN modules.

sherm--