John> I¹m trying to read in an InCopy document using XML::Simple. I¹m using the
John> XMLin(...) routine and passing the path to the file.

John> Usually it works fine, and I get what I need from the file and all is
well.

John> But a significant percentage of the time, I start getting errors saying
John> something akin to:

John> utf8 "\xBC" does not map to Unicode at
John> /Library/Perl/5.8.6/XML/SAX/PurePerl/Reader/Stream.pm line 37, <PAGE> line
John> 315501

Perhaps the document is latin-1, but you don't have the right charset
header.  XML is presumed utf-8 unless otherwise stated.