On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 16:23, Shai Simchi <s...@mashery.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Mac (not to perl). I have a package Net-Twitter-2.12.tar.gz
> which I want to start using but not sure how to make the package available
> on my perl installation.
> I am running on Mac OSX 10.0.5.6
snip

Long intial setup way that saves time later when you want to install
other modules

* login as yourself
* open a terminal
* download local::lib[1]
* untar local::lib (tar xvfz local-lib-1.003003.tar.gz)
* change directory into the resulting directory (cd local-lib-1.003003)
* type "perl Makefile.PL --bootstrap" without the quotes
* wait while it downloads and installs the necessary modules
* type "make"
* type "make test", if something fails send the error message to this list
* if nothing fails type "make install"
* add this line to your .bash_profile, .bashrc, or .profile (whichever
you use) "eval $(perl -I$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib)"
* close the terminal
* open the terminal again (this should load the new environment variable)
* type "cpan Net::Twitter" and watch it install it for you

Shorter initial method that leads to a lot of pain latter
* download Net::Twitter from cpan
* decompress it
* change directory into the resulting directory
* type "Perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=~/perl5
* type make
* type "make test"
* if any of the steps above fail contact this list with the error message
* type "make install"
* add "export PERL5LIB=~/perl5/the/path/leading/up/to/the/twitter/dir"
to .profile, .bash_profile, or .bashrc (whichever you use).
* close terminal
* open terminal

1. http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/A/AP/APEIRON/local-lib-1.003003.tar.gz

--