On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Marek Stepanek
<marekstepa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Thank you Sherm!
>
> This is a step in the right direction. But my cpanplus Perl is still broken,
> with messages like:
>
> Unable to create a new distribution object for 'Archive::Tar', although I
> have no /sw in the %ENV or @INC any more.

To be honest, I wouldn't have expected removing the /sw directories
from @INC to fix anything. That's why I told John that worrying about
Fink was pointless - there was nothing in your original report that
suggested it might have been the source of the problem.

Have you checked permissions on ~/.cpan? The error message sounds like
it can't download and/or unpack the Archive::Tar package. If you're
not running the CPAN shell as root (and you shouldn't be!), try making
sure that the .cpan directory and everything under it is owned and
writable by your user:

    cd ~
    sudo chown -R your_username .cpan
    chmod -R g+w .cpan

You need "sudo" for the chown because, if anything is owned by someone
else, you'll need root authority to change its ownership.

> even does not show a %ENV at all. This is certainly not right, isn't it?

That doesn't mean you have no environment variables at all, just none
that Perl cares about. (If you recall, it was only showing PERL5LIB
before, even though you probably had a lot more than that.)

sherm--

--
Cocoa programming in Perl:
http://camelbones.sourceforge.net