On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Thomas Wegner wrote:

> Thanks, Peter. To clarify things: Steffen said, that the DST setting
> on Unix and Windows depends on a given date. I think this is
> absolutely correct. I have provided the Christmas Eve example, and it

I agree with you and Steffen.

> absolutely correct. I have provided the Christmas Eve example, and it
> was bad example, I must confess, now that I have read your email. As
> it happens sometimes, a problem that seems to be trivial, turns out
> to be very complicated.

Actually I do not think that your Christmas Eve example was bad. Yes
daylight savings time rules may be complicated but it "should not"  be
impossible to code around (I say that as someone who has never attempted
to modify GUSI).  I note that for the "Date & Time" control panel version
8.3 that ships with Mac OS 9.1 there is a checkbox for "Set
Daylight-Saving Time Automatically", from which I conclude that parts of
the system do know what time zone the Mac is in and what the DST ->
standard time -> DST calendar rules are.  Hence I think that your example
should have worked since I presume that you have set your Time Zone
appropriate to running a Mac in Germany, that is in a place in the
northern hemisphere where standard time is in effect in December.

I guess I was merely pointing out how difficult it can be to write
something like the Date & Time control panel.  The fact that it does not
expose DST transition rules to run time libraries like GUSI (as per Chris'
comment about the API not being there) can be considred a deficiency in my
opinion.

Peter Prymmer