On 2009-09-29, at 20:31 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On 2009-09-29, at 19:59 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Sep 29, 2009, at 18:54, Peter Hindrichs wrote:

Just doing some re reading of your website and was wondering if this path is acceptable.
It seems rather long compared to your example.
If it is, what can I do to clean this up ?

PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/ sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Well, /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin are specified twice, and don't need to be. Investigate where in your shell init scripts the path is being set, and see if you are perhaps adding the MacPorts paths to it in two different places. If so, remove one.

Pardon my ignorance how do I go about doing this.

So now how do I safely remove the extraneous   parts of this PATH ?

I see your shell is bash:

SHELL=/bin/bash

Bash might look in one of several files for its initialization instructions. These files are called .profile, .bash_profile, .bashrc, .login, and .bash_login, and would be directly in your home directory. Which of those files do you have, and what is their contents?

You also have /usr/local/bin in your path, and it is not supported to have anything in /usr/local/bin (lib, include, etc.) when using MacPorts because it can interfere, so I recommend you remove that from your path and remove whatever you have in /usr/local/bit (lib, include, etc.) as well.

Again the same here.

What's in /usr/local? Find out with:

find /usr/local