On Oct 15, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

On Oct 15, 2009, at 10:08, Wendy Bossons wrote:

I recently transitioned to a new software project, and I am using Mac now as a development platform instead of Windows. I keep seeing Macports come up as a way to install software, but I don't understand what it is and why I might need it.

Can someone explain the purpose of Macports and why I might need it?

As others have said, MacPorts is a package management system, which is an easy way to install software without having to know the technical details and without having to know what other software is required; MacPorts manages it for you. What others have not said is how easy it is to also remove such software later -- simply "sudo port uninstall" it. When you install software by hand, often it's not clear where things have been installed, or how to uninstall it later.

See us macports users never noticed the complexity of the uninstall.