Hello,
There is a problem with having many locations for third party installed software and that is dependencies during build and paths to those dependencies. Sometimes the problem also crops up when applications are opened depending on how the library links are sought (this is very very rare; but, does occur). If the build path is hard specified for dependencies, then, there is no problem because the dependency search will find or not find the dependency at the proper location; otherwise, PATH is used and the order of search of PATH will determine in which location a particular dependency is found to be used, a problem if there is more than one version of a dependency active at a time for the different installed port. I have actually had this happen a couple of times when trying to install non-MacPorts third party software into usr/local and having the dependency found in opt/local.