Regarding the console spam, we can only avoid it if the user “cleanly"
uninstalls MacPorts [1]. Then if the stats cron job is treated or installed as
a typical port, the cron job would be uninstalled.

However, if, as suggested, the user just deletes /opt/local/* then we can’t
really cleanup anything.

 1 http://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling